Saturday 20 July 2013

Cervical spondylosis treatment


Can you tell me what is the best treatment for neck stiffness? I have been told I have cervical spondylosis

Cervical spondylosis is essentially a disorder that results from the general wear and tear of the neck joints. It is very common. The initial treatment is always non-surgery. That includes use of pain pills, steroid injections and physical therapy. I should warn you that even though surgery is done very often for this disorder, the results are horrendous. While these orthopods can fix the neck joint, they almost always damage the important nerves which run from your neck into the arms. I do not recommend surgery, as the results are horrible. Some of these surgeons who operate on the neck do not know the mouth from the anus. They have poor surgical skills, lack the anatomical knowledge and will mess you up. The complications from neck surgery are usually permanent. 
Please speak to another patient who has had neck surgery before you undertake this hazardous procedure. Best advice- try neck exercises and you will live a life without hassles. However, remember if you have severe nerve compression, physical therapy can make the condition worse. So only do exercises that make you feel better. 
As far as surgery is concerned, I do not recommend it, unless you have severe stenosis of the spine with nerve impingement. The biggest problem is finding a good surgeon as most are hopeless (I know this as I often get to review malpractice cases).

No comments:

Post a Comment