Wednesday 17 July 2013

Diabetic with heart disease


I am a diabetic and have been told I have 2-vessel disease in my coronary arteries. The surgeon wants to operate on me. Any suggestions?

Yes, do not go to the surgeon. It does not matter what the data show, the first thing to determine is if the blocked vessels can be opened by angioplasty. There are some excellent cardiologists around and they can probably stent your blood vessels. So, avoid surgery until you get a second opinion. If stenting fails, you can always go for surgery.

Angioplasty is not only cheaper, but also far safer than open-heart surgery. If you see some of the heart surgeons operate, you will quickly realize that angioplasty is always the first choice of treatment. I should mention that most data now show that angioplasty works well in most diabetics. So, screw your surgeon and do what is right for you. good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment